|Origins||Settled c. 1845 and annexed in 1889|
Orange line EL tracks on the north, 59th Street on the south, railroad tracks on the east, railroad tracks on the west
|Gangs founded||Insane Guess Boys,|
|Gangs headquartered||Latin Kings, Satan Disciples, Insane Guess Boys,|
This area was first settled in the 1840s by German immigrants that built their farm houses in the area. In the year 1850 this area became a part of Lake Township and when the Union Stock Yards opened in 1865 this area became a part of the town of “Lake.” In the year 1873 Chicago commissioner and president of the Chicago White Stockings professional baseball team (now known today as the Chicago Cubs) George W. Gage laid out a plan to build a park at the intersection of Western Avenue and Garfield Boulevard, after his death in 1875 the park was named after him as “Gage Park.”
The area still remained very barren farmland even by the time annexation into Chicago came in 1889. In the 1900s decade the electric trolley line extended services to Western Avenue and Kedzie Street which brought Bohemian and Polish immigrants to settle in the community that mainly worked at the Union Stock Yards.
Nearby “Marquette Manor” subdivision was laid out in 1911 in the neighborhood next to Gage Park which brought more settlers to this area. Western Avenue and Garfield Boulevard (then known as 55th Street) were paved and by 1919 the area was ready for a boom in population as the area was named “Gage Park” after George W. Gage’s family that resided in the neighborhood.
In the 1920s Slavic and Lithuanians migrated to Gage Park especially after Central Steel And Wire moved its headquarters to Western Avenue in 1924. Royal Crown Bottling Company and World’s Finest Chocolate provided more employment opportunities in the 1930s and 1940s in Gage Park and the community prospered.
The first gang elements came to Gage Park in the 1950s as white greaser gangs formed to battle other greaser clubs from Back of The Yards and Marquette Park. Greaser gangs like the 59th Street Supreme Rulers, Artesian Cobras and the Mad Lads had formed in this community in the 1950s.
In the 1960s as African Americans and Mexicans moved into neighboring Marquette Park the greaser gangs were especially at the ready. The 1960s and 1970s saw the worse of racial tensions in Gage Park between whites and blacks as there was a city plan to move African Americans in between Marquette Park and Gage Park. The Gage Park community was outraged and the greaser gangs were ready to take violent action. The “Southside Head Inc” was especially one racist greaser group that operated from Gage Park all the way south to the Ashburn neighborhood; they fought to keep blacks out of the neighborhood. The Ku Klux Klan and Nazi Party groups also came to Gage Park to protest and prevent blacks from moving in using methods of violence and burning crosses on lawns.
In 1966 Martin Luther King led a march of protest that came through Gage Park and Marquette Park against discrimination of housing, the Black P Stones escorted Dr. King and this is when white greasers fought the Black P Stones in the streets of Gage Park. African Americans were kept out of Gage Park for the most part in the 1960s and 1970s even though Gage Park High School now had to let in black students in 1972 which caused several brawls and protests.
Real estate block busting tactics were soon to come to Gage Park to move in blacks and move out whites; however, this tactic would also turn this neighborhood into a slum due to ruining the local economy like what happened in several other Chicago neighborhoods. The goal of groups like Southwest Community Congress and Southwest Parish and Neighborhood Federation wanted to ease racial tensions so black families could move in but not under the terms of block busting; however, African Americans did not make Gage Park their home.
In the late 1970s, the first Mexican families began to move into Gage Park as some white families began to leave after Crane Manufacturing was experiencing early signs of decline, especially by 1979. Some Mexican families were moving in from Little Village and among these families came the Two Six organization that opened territory on 59th Street and Ambrose that opened around 59th Street as well becoming the first Mexican street gangs in Gage Park. Two Six was very large at the time at 59th and Rockwell and their turf went from 56th to 63rd and Western Avenue to Talman/Campbell extending into both Marquette Park and Gage Park. Ambrose also was settling in neighboring Marquette Park at 63rd and Francisco as they colonized all the way up to 58th Street in Gage Park. From 58th to 59th was their Gage Park territory. Ambrose had 58th the 67th and Fairfield to Washtenaw. After both gangs arrived they began warring with each other even though they were both part of the Folk alliance. Both gangs were already at war before the Folk alliance and here in Gage Park they continued that war into the 1980s.
In the early 1980s white residents of Gage Park began heading to the suburbs in higher numbers after Crane Manufacturing closed in 1980 in nearby Brighton Park, in their place came Mexican families. Gage Park soon ended up having some issues with poverty as lower classes of whites remained and lower income Mexican families moved in. The Two Six then grew large in this area as this branch became the “G-Town” Two Six area. The Black Gangster Disciples would also land in this area and recruited Mexican youths.
The Latin Kings would also arrive in the 1980s and were part of the rival People alliance. Eventually Latin Kings set up a major stronghold called “Crown Town” and recruited many of the South Side Heads. The Latin Kings would take 51st to 58th and from California to Pulaski.
The Black Gangster Disciples had 59th to 63rd east of Western Avenue in the West Englewood community but not in Gage Park yet but they were heavily unified with the G Town Two Sixs in the 1980s.
In about 1985 La Raza colonized mostly nearby Marquette Park at 61st and Fairfield but they could be found as far north as 57th Street in Gage Park.
In the year 1988 the Insane Guess Boys formed at 57th and Artesian as they would expand from 55th to 58th and Artesian.
The Party People started a chapter at 56th and Maplewood in 1989 and became a major fixture in this neighborhood for decades to come.
In 1991 the Black P Stones would take over territory from the Gangster Disciples by 59th and Campbell.
There was also some smaller gangs that arrived and didn’t last like Party Players and City Knights, both from Back of the Yards area.
In the year 1993 the Satan Disciples began a chapter on 59th Street and in the same year the G Town Two Sixs left the area resting it away to the Gangster Disciples and Party People.
The Gangster Disciples then became very large in Gage Park as they recruited Mexicans heavily by 1993.
In 1995, the Maniac Latin Disciples colonized Gage Park brought in by Gus. This section would eventually get big between 55th and 58th Streets.
In 1997 the Conservative Vice Lords took 57th and Artesian area and pushed out Black P Stones.
The neighborhood erupted into gang violence especially in the 1990s which proved to be the worst decade. Mexican migration heavily increased in the 1990s as more white families fled to escape the gang violence and drugs in the neighborhood, Gage Park then became one of the tougher neighborhoods in Chicago. In the 21st century housing values have increased which has brought some more middle class families to the area which has helped curb some of the violence; however, Gage Park still remains one of the tougher neighborhoods in Chicago but is not a slum.
The long standing gangs of this area are Latin Kings, Satan Disciples, Conservative Vice Lords, Gangster Disciples and Party People
Gage Park is founding land of the Insane Guess Boys.